sweeping sand

sweeping sand
Desert Housewives: just trying to keep the sand out of the house

Saturday, March 2, 2013

Five things to not-love about Dubai


Dubai is nothing if not a city of contrasts. No one who lives here seems to entirely love it, or to entirely hate it, because it is so diverse. One sweeping glance can take in the most breathtaking views – the tallest of buildings, the grand emptiness of the desert, the tumbled, crumbling cacophony of old Dubai on the creek – as well as great ugliness – cranes blighting the tops of buildings, a line of electrical towers marching across scrubby strips of sand.

Socially it’s like that, too. Warm, vibrant and endlessly interesting, the teeming multitudes of Dubai are also a source of disquiet. One only has to see the speed at which whole office towers spring out of the ground to know that the labour-force here is unnervingly cheap and plentiful. Enough said.
So in the interests of balance (see previous post), here are five things I have found that I’m not really loving:

Kids without seatbelts
Apparently car accidents are on top of the cause-of-death lists for children here in Dubai. Who knew? You mean all those toddlers roaming around their cars unfettered are in some kind of danger? All those babies held in their mothers’ arms in the front seat are not actually safe? Okay, end of sarcastic rant, time to get serious. Nothing makes my blood boil more than seeing children bouncing about without seatbelts while daddy (wearing his seatbelt, possibly to stop the car making that annoying pinging sound) drives 120kmh down Sheikh Zayed Road. As I like to shout furiously to my children at such times, “Their daddy doesn’t love them” (accompanied by dramatic pointed finger).


Exhibit A
Car parking at school
You think drop-off and pick-up at your nice school in Australia (or wherever) is tedious? You should be thanking God for that slow-moving queue to get into the drop-and-go zone. Here (I mean most schools in Dubai, not just my children’s), people park everywhere, including but not restricted to: the footpath (exhibit A), the middle of the road, the traffic islands, other people’s driveways. Then they grab little Tommy or Rashid and hustle him through the seething mass of Porsche Cayennes (at least they probably all have rear sensors). It’s only a matter of time before someone gets killed (or as I like to say to my children at such times, “It’s all fun and games until someone loses an eye”. Oh wait, that’s running with sticks.)

General lack of green, hippy, leftist, pinko stuff
By that I mean such things as: recycling (you can take your bottles etc to a recycling centre at the shops near us, which we do, but we feel like a drop in the ocean), fresh vegetables that don’t come with a million food miles attached (oh well, it is a desert... but if they can desalinate the water, can’t they find a way to grow a few lettuces?), meat that doesn’t make me think of the Four Corners report about live animal exports from Australia (if you’ve seen it, you’ll know what I mean. If you haven't, use your imagination), and so on. It makes me really, really miss organic farmers’ markets, my friends who sell well-loved, well-fed and freshly butchered little lambies, and even the ubiquitous green Coles bags at home.

A ‘stratified’ society
Without getting myself into trouble here, this is a multicultural society that has a few issues. Sometimes I feel like I’m inside a fantasy novel set in an imaginary world where different nationalities automatically take different jobs: the Dolons are the miners, the Mithraki the servants, the Hitanees the rulers etc. (I just made all that up so don’t go trying to figure out what book they’re from. It was basically because I couldn’t remember any actual examples from the fantasy genre, but I’m sure they’re there. Suggestions welcome.) Here, the Filipinas are the nannies, the Filipinos the waiters, Pakistanis the gardeners and labourers, and so on. This is frankly a little weird. A lot weird. And unfair, and awful. And comes with a whole lot of connected issues that I can’t really go into here.

And finally, the neighbour’s sprinklers
This is sort of about wasted water in general, and sort of about my own beauty sleep. For an hour at bed time, just as we are hoping to fall into an exhausted sleep (every day here is exhausting), and then at five in the morning (just at that point when you are rested enough to not be able to fall back to sleep, but still not rested enough), the neighbour’s sprinklers go off. They are the kind that I have only otherwise seen on sporting ovals, the ones that go ‘chk, chk, chk, chk’ around in a circle. Only in the dead of night, they sound like a slow jackhammer. For an hour. (Have a listen on the video here. If you're having trouble seeing anything, that's because it was 5am, when it is DARK and everyone should be ASLEEP.) 
The neighbour’s yard is very empty, and very green. And I have never seen anyone use it. Not once. Maybe they just like to look at it.
 
Wherever you live, there are things that get your goat (do only Australians use that expression?). What are some of yours? Pictures and videos welcome.

8 comments:

  1. Interesting about the stratified society stuff. Just reminded me about when I lived in California and our landlords had a gardener that came every so often to tend to our mostly concrete backyard. Anyway the gardener was like a 15 year old Mexican boy and apparently that was quite normal, plus he got paid like $2 an hour or something ridiculous. That was over 10 years ago, but I remember thinking that was really, really strange. Even as an ignorant, self absorbed teenager.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh just did some calculations, that was 15 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Makes you yearn for the days of the neighbours (actually only one of the neighbours really) that quietly hand water the Sir Walter at appropriate times!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Gail, it does, it does. And Dayle, I can't believe you're that OLD!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI Michelle - try HG Well's The Time Machine and classic film Metropolis for stratified societies. And I'm still wondering - especially now I've read about the attrocious parking and no seatbelts - what your traffic fine was for.
    It all makes me appreciate my vege garden and chooks even more, even if we had no tomatoes this year and the chooks have taken to laying in a pot on the verandah.
    cheers
    Frances

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well... the traffic fine was for gently brushing up against someone who had parked half on the road and half on the footpath. For even this kind of accident, you have to wait for the police and get a report - otherwise, no one will fix your car. Of course, I was the one who had to pay a fine because I don't have an Emirates driving licence, only an international one. As the policeman with only five teeth said to me, "Very, very bad." And I'm sorry to hear about your tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's appalling.
      You want to know what gets my goat - it's the new "compact" SMH - anyone else would call it tabloid - and being made to feel like a luddite for prefering the broadsheet. At least we still have a printed paper I suppose.
      BTW we do have plenty of cucumbers - would you like some?

      Delete
  7. Yes, I'm glad I'm not there to see the sad demise of a once great paper. TRAGEDY.
    And pls send cucumbers.

    ReplyDelete