sweeping sand

sweeping sand
Desert Housewives: just trying to keep the sand out of the house

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

What's not to worry about?


FROWN LINES: I promise I won't go this far. Although someone
tried to sell me on laser hair removal the other day, which looked
pretty fab.
Worrying is something I have always been rather good at. Well, I’m being modest. I’m awesome at it. I could worry for Australia.

So, I have embraced a few new things to worry about now that I live in Dubai. Isn’t it wonderful the opportunities that travel brings? 

I have even graduated to the state where I have permanent little worry lines etched onto my forehead, between my eyebrows, like a cartoon character. Now I look worried even when I'm not worried. Great.

Here’s a few of my new concerns, off the top of my head. There are more, but I don’t want to worry my family and friends back home…

1. The water contains terrible chemicals. The water is desalinated so it contains no useful trace elements. All the local bottled water is bereft of minerals, but you can’t drink the tap water. If I buy (expensive) imported mineral water with actual minerals in it, I’m contributing to global warming (food miles, unnecessary packaging, etc. Also, no one here bothers to recycle. The tip outside of town is the size of several football fields. I reckon half of it would be water bottles.). If I don’t, my children will not get the necessary minerals. Also, there is no way for them to get extra fluoride because, unlike Australia, they don’t put fluoride in either the tap or bottled water. Hence, their teeth will fall out.

Solution: there is none.

2. The food mostly comes from overseas. That means that fresh fruit and vegetables are not really fresh and have probably been sitting in a truck, ship or plane for far too long and no longer have any vitamins and minerals. This is bad for me and my family (see water section above). It is also bad for the environment (food miles etc as above). It is also all highly packaged. Ditto all of the above for eggs, grains, etc. And I have no proof that local animals were raised or slaughtered humanely, or that live imports of cattle and sheep are handled properly. And I can’t grow much in my garden because the trees that shade my house also prevent vegetables growing on the ground. And it would be costly in terms of water.

Solution: there is none.

3. People drive like maniacs, and if I drive to keep up with them I might hit an Emirati or a pedestrian, in which case the accident is automatically my fault. If someone dies, I could get deported, go to jail, or have to pay blood money (yes, you read that right. Blood money). If I drive too slowly, I will cause an accident, someone will hit me and we could all die. There is little to no public transport. And nothing in my life is within walking distance.

Solution: there is none.

4. Labour is incredibly cheap. People come from all over the world to work as shop assistants, builders, street sweepers, gardeners, nannies and cleaners. If I hire a gardener and a cleaner, which we can afford because they ask only a pittance, I am supporting an inequitable and sometimes corrupt system. If I don’t, I am preventing someone from making a living and sending money home to their family in the Philippines or Pakistan. And I am also a hypocrite, because I am supporting the system anyway every time I do the groceries, drive through a security gate, get a massage or need a home handyman.

Solution: there is none.

This is just a selection of new conundrums I face in Dubai. Any tips or advice? And what are the conundrums you face in yours?

6 comments:

  1. Wow, these are all difficult things to go through. Hope you can work something out.

    For my 2c worth on pt 1, was thinking that growing up on a farm in Queensland we didn't have fluoride in the water. Ok so tank water would have some minerals as well but our Mum made us take fluoride tablets as kids. Maybe a partial solution if the chemist sells them ? I didn't get my first filling until my 30's !

    Do you know anything about Retrieval Ethics ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlie. Yes, retrieval ethics are useful on a daily basis over here!
      And I'll visit the chemist later today...

      Delete
  2. Franny, you're always good for some sterling advice! I'll think about it (in a couple of years)...

    ReplyDelete
  3. How about a hydroponics set up for lettuce and other leafy veg. Chance to top up trace elements and have some indoor greenery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We all face dilemmas - moving to the country meant I could grow veggies have chooks, yet now I have further to travel to go to work and there is no public transport so I use more petrol. All you can do wherever you are is be mindful of waste and where your food comes from. Be kind to your home help or manage without, drive defensively, grow whatever you can in pots and eat less/no meat and get some fluoride pills. And whatever you do don't go into business with sheiks and don't kiss in public - we'd like you to come home eventually.

    ReplyDelete